Topic: Your Best Xmas Song?

Mine's the one Paddy McAloon called a perfect pop song, and one that the main protagonist played evert instrument on. Recording it one beat at a time. Finger by finger.

Yours?

Re: Your Best Xmas Song?

Fairy Tale Of New York. For me, it's one of the greatest songs ever, with lyrics by our generations greatest poet.

Human kindness is overflowing

I like quite a few to be honest.  Jethro Tull's Solstice Bells is good though. 

Greg Lake's is a cracker too.

Last edited by Reggie Perrin (Sat 22 Dec 2018 1:22 pm)

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Aye of all above but Greg Lake for me.
A wonderfully put together song.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Last edited by hendersonjones (Sun 16 Dec 2018 11:15 am)

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

Cutsyke wrote:

Fairy Tale Of New York. For me, it's one of the greatest songs ever, with lyrics by our generations greatest poet.

Fully agree. There's a great documentary on the writing and recording of this song, which "musical experts" claim it is in fact 2 songs overlapping each other. (Whatever that means)
It took a  good  couple of years to write and was delayed because O Riordan left the band, so no female to sing the vocals.  Another year was spent on it off and on, which probably was a good thing.
I see Shane, now 60 got married last month to Victoria Clarke.
Good luck to them.

________________________________________________________________________________

Did someone mention the greatest poet of a generation?

I've done a little Christmas playlist.

It's not in the order I wanted so doesn't flow right but I don't know how to change the running order..

Anyway.. here if you want a listen

https://open.spotify.com/user/platey67/ … 81kCJrjNZA

Simon and Garfunkel's Silent Night.

That Fairy tale doc is great. Mickey Mouse club.
I used to walk past that police station house once or twice a week. Impossibly not to find the lyrics going through your head as you go by.

Pretenders - "2000 Miles" - plus that amazing jangling guitar by Billy Bremner (the musician)

Travis - "Writing to Reach You" - for just the one line "Good to know that you'll be home by Christmas" - and yet again, oh, the sumptuous texture of those jangling guitars!

Being something of a stickler for accuracy, let me correct my own errors: it was Robbie McIntosh on "2000 Miles" and the Travis line goes "Good to know that you are home for Christmas".

Last edited by pipoldchap (Sun 23 Dec 2018 1:04 pm)

Pretenders, good call.

You scumbag you maggot you taped over Taggart. Always liked John and Yokos as well. You know right at the beginning if you turn it up you hear her whisper happy Christmas Yoko him say happy Christmas Johnny. Well it's a bit cheesy but since I met her, every year, our lass will wake up on Christmas day and say happy Christmas Yoko unless I wake up first then I say happy Christmas Yoko to her. We both want to be John. That doesn't even make sense reading it back I've been on the vodka. Happy Christmas everyone x

zicoslovechild wrote:
Cutsyke wrote:

Fully agree. There's a great documentary on the writing and recording of this song, which "musical experts" claim it is in fact 2 songs overlapping each other. (Whatever that means)
It took a  good  couple of years to write and was delayed because O Riordan left the band, so no female to sing the vocals.  Another year was spent on it off and on, which probably was a good thing.
I see Shane, now 60 got married last month to Victoria Clarke.
Good luck to them.

We watched that documentary, a couple of nights ago . Very good , the nypd choir were a pipe band singing, m I c k e y not gallway bay .
Probably my fav , I do like the waitresses and John and Yoko .

To stand aside is to take sides.

Cutsyke wrote:

Simon and Garfunkel's Silent Night.

That Fairy tale doc is great. Mickey Mouse club.
I used to walk past that police station house once or twice a week. Impossibly not to find the lyrics going through your head as you go by.

In a similar vein I cannot walk the dog on the beach without whistling the Robinson Crusoe theme, not that they filmed it in Peel mind.

Last edited by Smutty Lips (Sun 23 Dec 2018 12:44 pm)

A little compilation for ya from violette

https://soundcloud.com/violette-records … ichristmas

I'm just a symptom of the moral decay thats gnawing at the heart of the country

hendersonjones wrote:

A little compilation for ya from violette

https://soundcloud.com/violette-records … ichristmas

Ha ha, Nick's a lovely DJ..

#DoTheDai \o/