Re: Anybody Up For Some Best of 2018 Type Lists?

Late to the party as usual.

Just getting into that Idles album. Very good, especially the crescendo at the end where the singer is shouting fuck em, smash it, burn you house down. Just sums up how I feel !

I am just a common breed

Hoping to see them and Fountaines DC next year. Few of the chaps over here looking to get to two or three dates. More a double header than a support in my eyes that, infact, I prefer Fountaines.

Last edited by Cutsyke (Sun 16 Dec 2018 4:17 am)

Human kindness is overflowing

Best TV programme - Escape to The Chateau
Best Film - Avengers Infinity War
Best Album - Gallagher and Lyle; Breakaway
Best Book - Miles Davis - Autobiography
Best Poster - Travis, KOTS, Scootay

Tv programme - Killing Eve
Album - Strange Pleasures by Still Corners (not their latest but their best)
Book - The Forgotten Highlander by Alistair Urquhart
Football - The 4-1 win at Derby earlier this season...dazzling at times.
Gig - none, didn't bother this year, even gave away my China Crisis tickets for City Varieties
Poster- All good eggs really
MIA - Misura the sulking Blunt cunt, get yourself back on here Billy Sharpish!

Oh and Mol, really hope 2019 is a better year for you pal, stick with it.

Managerial endeavour = houses = money.

Film : Blackklansman... not sure I watched any others.
Book : Again, late to the party but Detroit 67 - The Year that changed Soul, Sapenes and Homo Deus, and The Big Midweek - Life Inside the Fall
Album : And Nothing Hurt, Wolds Strongest Man by Gaz Coombes, the Orielles one, Paul Wellers new one, IDLES and weirdly Richard Hawleys first album. It's ace. All top my Spotify listen lists.
Gig : Ears are fucked. Tinnitus. So sadly, my gigging days are over. Lastedt one song at NGHFB's at Leeds. Walked out.
Trainers : New Balance 373.
Shoes : Still partial to a decent pair of Grensons
Poster : I'm just glad we have more than ten of us to be honest...
Thread : And and all match reports. Halifax included. The child has reduced my Elland Road trips to 0 so far this year
Newly discovered restaurant : Mackie Mayor, Manchester, I think it took some slack on here and it is probably over priced but I do like it. Good food, ace ale.
Pub : Still Maltdog, Monton, Salford
Footballer : Hernandez
TV : I might be a year out but I watched Counterpart in 2018. Second series just started....
Podcast : Undr The Cosh, Adam Buxton
MIA : Misura. I've reread that thread and I still don't get it. I'm a bit slow on the uptake.

Loose Lips wrote:

Pub : Still Maltdog, Monton, Salford

Easy to get stuck in Monton Carlo but give Why Not? in Boothstown a go.

Who do you think you are, Bremner?

Aye I will.

Easy to get to stuck as I'm less than 100 meters from it wink

I'm in Vesuvio (always makes think of Phil Collins a lot). I'll edge down the street a bit further and try it.

Loose Lips wrote:

Aye I will.

Easy to get to stuck as I'm less than 100 meters from it wink

I'm in Vesuvio (always makes think of Phil Collins a lot). I'll edge down the street a bit further and try it.

You in the Old Peoples home over the road on the site of the old cinema?

Only messing.
We must have mutuals if you live that close. Miro being an obvious one.

Who do you think you are, Bremner?

Smart as fuck those flats. Didn't know it was a cinema, only knew it as the Wendover before it got knocked down.

Don't know Miro. I've been here a while but not a native.

Cutsyke wrote:

x2

YMAT Fontaines DC I thought they'd be right up you street.

Cycling - Geraint Thomas winning the TdF; love the mumbling none-PR aspect of him

Hardly saw any of it this year. Shift work sucks.

Heard a couple of tracks now by Fontaines DC. That singer don't half remind me of someone
:-/

Last edited by Young Marxist at Tescos (Sat 22 Dec 2018 12:00 pm)

"We are The Fall"

This seems as good as thread as any to give my thanks for the huge support and help from everyone on here this year. Everyone has their own stuff going on, some more than others but ye still came through. I'll never forget it. No need to mention it further on this thread, but it needed saying. Thank you.

He spent all night staring down at the lights of LS. Wondering if he could ever go home.

TV killing Eve
Film A Star Is Born , only seen that and The Greatest Showman . Seams I’m strictly musicals.
Gigs Stereophonics at the racecourse Wrexham, walking distance from home , which edges it over Billy Joel at the scumerry.
Music Only got into Wilco this year , so I’ll go with Jeff Tweedy album Warm
Books Read nothing new , enjoyed a Neil Gaiman , Anansi boy .
Football Bielsa
Event A new grandson born in October. We have 5 now between us 2 for me 3 for misses . It will be 3 each come February, oldest is 4 . They are without doubt the best things in my world.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Wilco. I got obsessed with them when I discovered them. If you get the chance to see them, they are brilliant.

Album - Endless Scroll by Bodega
Film - Deadpool II, cos it's the only film I've been to the cinema to see, this year.
Telly - predictable but Killing Eve. The ending to Bodyguard was hugely disappointing, to say the least.
Book - Dead Men's Trousers. Same deal as Film.
Sport - that El Loco fella.
Holiday - The two weeks in Cornwall, at the beginning of July. May as well been in Greece. Found an ace pub in Looe to watch the football and was treated as a local by the third visit. Free snacks and the occasional free round - Ooh and indeed, Arrrrrr.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

Cutsyke wrote:

Wilco. I got obsessed with them when I discovered them. If you get the chance to see them, they are brilliant.

Got hooked after hearing California Stars with Billy Bragg. He’s got a biography out , Jeff Tweedy.

To stand aside is to take sides.

Probably the most full on year of my life.
Currently doing 85/90 hour weeks for the past 5 months, Moving two houses, closing down a store in one city, moving 5000 kms to the mountains after big city living for 30 years, opening two stores in 6 months, chucking our kid in full on french school, shipping a $2M Banksy ... All good, not moaning, just maybe wish I wish was 10 years younger big_smile
This list ... had fuck all time to watch, read or listen to anything new, let alone realise there's mountains outside my house

Album of the year: Spiritualized
Playlist of the year: Tommy Guerrero radio on Spotify
Bands: Idols, De la Soul, Public Enemy, 
Book: I wish ... i re-read most of the time now... Kitchen Confidential seemed apt
Restaurant: Sushi Sen in Squamish - cheapest best sushi in BC
Threads: Travis at Halifax, most excellent. Placid's match reports, da bomb
Posters: all of you ... special mention to again Travis and Placid, we all know why.
Missed: Misura ... still dont get it, then again dont understand why he flew 8 hours to Toronto and didnt pop in. Nice bloke it seemed and great insight into french youth football. Come back ya wuss
Most fun: driving at high speed on the Sea to Sky (HWY 99) terrifying yet exhilerating in the pitch black and snow
Sports: LUFC ... the best ride in life
Proudest moment: we talk about living through our kids but ... Phoenix coping with this move and being liberated by mountain living ... diving in lakes, skiing like a pro and being cool about going to french school when he didnt speak a word.
Movie: Day of the Jackal, Coffee and Cigarettes
Art: Gucci Ghost
Clothing brand: Margiela basics, Arc'Teryx Veilance, Sacai, Rab and James Perse
Sneaker: Air Max 1
Change: quitting red wine for Guiness
Holiday: hopefully Hawaii at some point this year for my 50th, but also driving north up into BC and visiting/ learning more about native culture

2019 ? Rodney... millionaires by Xmas or working for the man

Merry Xmas y'all

Last edited by Franz Klammer SC (Tue 25 Dec 2018 8:05 am)

I know you've grafted hard for it but I love it when good things happen to good people.

Red wine, Guinness, next step's tea.

And here are the votes from the Worth Valley...

Gigs
Nerrina Pallot Trades club
Suede Brudenell
Rezillos Budenell
Tom Robinson Brudenell
Idles Bearded Theory And Leeds Stylus
Killing Joke Leeds
Robert Plant Bearded Theory
Shame Leeds Stylus
Billy Idol Manchester
U2 Manchester

Albums
Joy as an Act of Resistance - Idles
Blue Hour - Suede
Songs of Praise - Shame
Piano and a microphone - Prince
BED - Baxter Dury
Columbia - The Blinders
Fear of a  Brown Planet - Brownout
Nihilistic Glamour Shots - Cabbage
Amerikkkant - Ministry
Vessel of Love - Hollie Cooke

Film TV
The Defiant Ones
Buster Scroggs
Making a Murderer
Dead Pool2
Ozark
The Crown
Sinner
Narcos
Dark
The Haunting of Hill House

2018 - Mostly very good. Played loads of crazy gigs, me and the wife got decent jobs. Fantastic summer. Like 1976. Brown grass!
Worst thing about it is easily the Brexit fiasco. Divisive and disastrous. Fuelled by legions of gammons who suddenly became experts in WTO rules.

Football The Bielsa Revolution.
England getting to the World Cup Semis. Watched it at the O2 in Leeds followed by the Oh Sees. 

Holiday Two weeks around France in a Mazda Bongo staying at Huttopia camp sites.

Books
The Gallows Pole -  Ben Myers

Pub The Fox Shipley

A man may fight for many things. His country, his friends, his principles, the glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French p*rn.

Books - no new ones, Shock & Awe by Simon Reynolds, Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and Naked by David Sedaris - which was the funniest thing I've read in years.

Album - And Nothing Hurt - Spiritualized

Tracks/songs - Head Alone by Julia Jacklin, Fanny Dog by Ty Segall, Frontier Man by Gruff Rhys

Gig - Spiritualized at Hammersmith Apollo after a long walk through London on a perfect autumn day.
Toots & The Maytals at Leeds O2, me and the lad skanking away.

Radio - Marc Riley on 6 is a great listen, so enthusiastic about music new and old.

TV - don't really watch it. Although saw the Mortimer and Whitehouse fishing thing on catch up , thought that was ace.

Event - World Cup, great football, hot weather, England doing well, going to Panini swap events so the lad can finish his book.

Place - Northumberland coast.

Leeds - just enjoying it all especially with the young lads coming through. Most improved player is Phillips by a mile.

OMJ - Everyone who takes the time to contribute, use it or lose it. We're spoilt with Trav's reports, Placid's too. It's a better place when Cutsyke's around. Been a tough year for some of our brethren, hoping things can improve in some small way for those who've been dealt a poor hand.

MIA - Misura

I think that's it.

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Bloody hell, I'd forgotten about the world cup. Sedaris is mental in the best way. I haven't really read anything. He used to be in This American Life a fair bit in the radio and is have tears in my eyes laughing trying to drive. I don't watch. Much tv either these days. Pay for cable but no one watches anything g but the weather and the news on it.

I read it when I was on holiday which meant there were usually people about and I genuinely had to bite on my hand a couple of times to stop laughing or I'd think of a line while lying in bed and let out a huge hahaha!

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.