Topic: Shock and Awe - Glam Rock and its Legacy by Simon Reynolds

Just finished reading this after getting it for Christmas last year, only took a month. The research must have taken ages, it’s incredibly in-depth. It covers the origins of Glam Rock as something of an alternative to the plodding and noodling of the late 60s/early 70s bands - Bolan, Bowie, Slade etc through to the later years such as New York Dolls, Cockney Rebel and Alex Harvey and everything in between. He also explores the influences on bands such as Siouxie and The Banshees, Ultravox, Japan etc.

Bowie features heavily and probably at least a quarter of the book is about him but not all in one go. He's cleverly interwoven throughout with much of it original stuff or presented in a different way rather than re-hashed tales. It goes from his early mod days and the book finishes with Black Star and his death and it's a fitting end.

Love the bit about Bryan Ferry being pissed off by having his original idea of an album of covers being eclipsed by Bowie releasing Pin Ups at the same time. Ferry's got to number five, Pin Ups was at number one for five weeks.

A few mentions of how Glam featured many bands and singers who were having their third or fourth stab at trying to make it, no-one was exactly a teen star, Bolan, Bowie, Glitter, Alvin Stardust, Slade, Mott The Hoople and Sweet had been at it for years.

There's some good Iggy bits in there, how fucked up he was when Bowie ran into him in the street in LA, he was homeless, living in a garage and shoplifting for food. Bowie took him to Berlin.

Highly recommended if it's your thing, bit of a slog at times but worth it.

Last edited by Harvest (Thu 11 Oct 2018 9:35 pm)

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Re: Shock and Awe - Glam Rock and its Legacy by Simon Reynolds

https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2018/10/11/81UuhsbNqDL.jpg

Call me up in dreamland. Radio to me man.

Re: Shock and Awe - Glam Rock and its Legacy by Simon Reynolds

Got this for Xmas.

Great book. His writing on Bowie is some of the best. I loved the bit when he was taking the piss out of Bryan Ferry & his stupid sons.

Shame he didn’t do a bit more on the glam in the early 90’s. Denim, Pulp & all that lot.

I am just a common breed