Topic: Beastie Boys

Middle child bought me this for me birthday.

It is some tome and the eras it is encapsulating suggests to me it will be a cracking read.  Written in a unique way as well, seems almost a series of loosely connected essays, hundreds of pics, mix tape suggestions, cartoons, recipes, maps and alternative opinions.

I am two 'chapters' in and the post punk vibe is strong.

The greatest music read ever by all accounts - however I have read Head on by Julian Cope so it has it's work cut out.

Aim Low and miss...

Re: Beastie Boys

It’s massive isn’t it? I was trying to read it in Strand books the other week and couldn’t get comfy with it. It’s more an artifact than anything. Beautiful looking though. They’ve been on a tour promoting it of late. Touts got taken to the cleaners, which is always nice. Head On is the best one I ever read though The Dirt is highly regarded too. Read that Morrissey and Marr Severed Aliance the other week, what a load of of old shite that is.

Human kindness is overflowing

Yeah - it is like a coffee table book but is readable.  I was in bed last night and had to have a little rest, me arms were knackered!

What happend with the Touts?  I know it sold out in record time.

The Dirt - is that a Smith book?

Aim Low and miss...

Got to give playing bass with three left hands a go as well. It is very good.
I loved the Severed Alliance.
Revolution in the Head is up there as well.
What ever happened to Christopher Robin is good. About Brian Jones, as is Paint it Black.
Brett Anderson’s one was a great read from this year.
Oh yeah that Nico one as well set in the 80’s.

I am just a common breed

Cutsyke wrote:

It’s massive isn’t it? I was trying to read it in Strand books the other week and couldn’t get comfy with it. It’s more an artifact than anything. Beautiful looking though. They’ve been on a tour promoting it of late. Touts got taken to the cleaners, which is always nice. Head On is the best one I ever read though The Dirt is highly regarded too. Read that Morrissey and Marr Severed Aliance the other week, what a load of of old shite that is.

Always fancied reading One Three One by Mr Cope - someone on here recommended it (think it was Rudi) - never got round to it but might pick it up this weekend

Anyone else read it?  Views?

You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit.

I don't think people realised it was a book promo tour rather than actual gigs. Brooklyn tickets were $120 one day, $6 the next.
The Beasties book is a thing of beauty and it's on my list.
The Dirt is Motley Crue.
I read the one by the guy from Eels earlier in the year, that's worth tracking down.

Ray Hankin's shorts wrote:
Cutsyke wrote:

Always fancied reading One Three One by Mr Cope - someone on here recommended it (think it was Rudi) - never got round to it but might pick it up this weekend

Anyone else read it?  Views?

That massive book Cope brought out about megalithic Britain,  "The Modern Antiquarian" is brilliant.

Yes it is. Beautiful too. He surprised more than a few people in academia with his knowledge and insight if I remember rightly.

Cutsyke wrote:

I don't think people realised it was a book promo tour rather than actual gigs. Brooklyn tickets were $120 one day, $6 the next.
The Beasties book is a thing of beauty and it's on my list.
The Dirt is Motley Crue.
I read the one by the guy from Eels earlier in the year, that's worth tracking down.

Ah bollocks, if I'd seen that I would've got a ticket - would gladly pay up to 20 bucks to listen to Ad Rock and Mike D reminisce, especially at King's Theatre. Hundred and 20, no fucking chance.

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

Had a bit on of late, otherwise I would have gone. Where I live it's not really practical but for you you can get some concert tickets very cheap at the last minute, straight to your phone, at times. Always worth having a look on Stubhub.

Last edited by Cutsyke (Mon 12 Nov 2018 4:56 pm)

Top tip, cheers. I'll try that with Massive Attack tickets next March - I was eagerly hovering over the keyboard on Friday at 9.59am to fork out 150 sovs to watch a bunch of middle-aged men perform a 21-year old album live, got fucking nowt! Total scam, sure the scalpers had a field day.

Surprised that sold out.

Nostalgia business, innit, everyone desperate to re-live their youth. I was in 2 minds but then heard that Liz Fraser from Cocteau Twins will be appearing with them, that sold me. But it's a stupid amount of money, even at Radio City...

Last edited by Mike Jones (Mon 12 Nov 2018 8:39 pm)

I don't know, I didn't mean it like that. I'm not really that aware of them and constantly amazed by what does and what doesn't sell out a big venue.
I have no problem with listening to bands doing their old stuff. I watch old movies and read old books.

Massive Attack doing two nights at RC, loads of tickets already on Stubhub.

I relented and ordered the Beastie Boys book. I've been listening to it on Audible, free 30 day trial, two free books. Nine chapters in and it's fucking brilliant.

When we first moved over here a lot of the loons in our local bar were big time into The Beasties, The Ramones and The Pogues, with various other stuff thrown in for good measure. I wasn't what you'd call a fan ( I never saw them live) but they grew on me and I still play them a lot today. Seriously though, it is a really interesting book even if you don't care for them. My mate's wife's already been mentioned as one of the bag ladies and now I want to know more about the girl who's dad said college or a yacht? She chose a yacht and then set off to sail around the world single handedly. Kim Gordon, Steve Buschemi, John C Riley, Rosie Perez and a load of others narrating along with Mike D and  Adam Horovitz. What an amazing and alarming place NYC  sounded  in the late 70s compared to the antiseptic city of today. We were in a Vietnamese restaurant in Bushwick last week for fuck's sake.

Worth watching with the sound up high. Looks a lot of fun. Another I regret never seeing.

Can recall Shaun Ryder doing his own version of She's Crafty at the Boardwalk once.

Last edited by Cutsyke (Thu 22 Nov 2018 2:07 pm)

I liked Money Mark. He fixed their gate and studio.

Cope.  That two three one or what ever.  I started it but was clearly not in the mode.  Lots of rock references.  As in rocks from the ground.  Not metal or what not.

I love his irreverence though and will have another bash.  My to read pile is huge.

i like football and sunny weather.

Aim Low and miss...

I thought we had a thread on 131 but I can’t find it. It’s good - very Julian Cope. If you’ve ever wondered why there wasn’t a novel based on prehistoric shamen and football casuals, this is the book for you.

Speaking of Cope books, I’ve just noticed that Japrocksampler has been reprinted, which I’ve just bought as a Christmas present to myself.

"I'm not very good at being a hedonist... ...must try harder"

With regard to the Beastie Boys book - what a great read. Would have loved to have met Yauch, god bless him.

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.

^  Wasn't it and what a chap he came across as.

Aim Low and miss...