Re: Stupid crazy stuff your parents did when you were kids

Had a Dimplex oil heater that moves about upstairs depending on need.  Ice inside the windows when you woke up. 

Eiderdowns and blankets before fancy duvets were even dreamed of. 

Edging the lawn.  Having a shared phone (party) line.

Twin tub washing machines.  Most people bought most things secondhand.

I'd offer you a beer, but I've only got six cans.

Them stripey cotton flannel sheets and loads of blankets. I can remember the first quilt. Mam tried making lasagna soon after. Crazy times.

Human kindness is overflowing

Cutsyke wrote:

Them stripey cotton flannel sheets and loads of blankets. I can remember the first quilt. Mam tried making lasagna soon after. Crazy times.

That's weird, we got our first continental quilts and our mam then had a bash at chili con carne - maybe that's why folk are so different on the continent, corrupted by exotic quilts?

Snatching misery from the jaws of glory since, ooooooh, 1973?

My Dad coming back from the pub tanked up, then driving us to this chippy on Harehills Road then driving out to Wetherby or somewhere for a "spin" before home around one in the morning.

I see there is an enticing photo of said chippy and its clientele on Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.8090693 … 384!8i8192

Cutsyke wrote:

Heating in your bedroom? You’re just showing off.

Won’t mention the electric blanket then

Struggling In The Vortex, With My Jacket Made of Goretex, It Fits Wonderfully

Keg wrote:

My Dad coming back from the pub tanked up, then driving us to this chippy on Harehills Road then driving out to Wetherby or somewhere for a "spin" before home around one in the morning.

I see there is an enticing photo of said chippy and its clientele on Google Maps.

Thats well funny

My dad liked to paint the wheels of his cars with emulsion. Some bonkers Woodhouse boy racer. He recently told me he wrote “Rowdie Yates” on the back of his overalls for some reason at Burtons in the 50’s.

Keg wrote:

The old man was a fan of the 'drive'. When my Mum and Dad split up and she moved out we'd go to motorway services for a cup of coffee and then come back. With me lighting the cigs obviously. Good soundtrack in the car. Lou Reed's Rock and Roll Animal was a favourite.
We'd end up in care these days.....

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

placidcasual wrote:

My dad liked to paint the wheels of his cars with emulsion. Some bonkers Woodhouse boy racer. He recently told me he wrote “Rowdie Yates” on the back of his overalls for some reason at Burtons in the 50’s.

"Rowdie Yates". Been chuckling about that all the way to York...

She’s the main man in the office in the city and she treats me like I’m just another lackey, but I can put a tennis racket up against my face and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki...

hendersonjones wrote:

so inorder to make myself and my sister some breakfast my dad ironed bread to make toast yikes

That's brilliant and exactly the kind of innovation my dad use to come up with when he split up with my mum and got a place of his own. He wouldn't use an iron to iron his clothes though, he'd do that by folding them neatly under his mattress then sleeping on them. Think I've mentioned on here before about the old washing your socks and undies by treading on them like grapes in the shower. He got that from his mate who was the first of the gang to get divorced and led the way in the field of domestic discovery.

Another one was not buying milk but having loads of tins of carnation in the cupboard for tea/coffee/breakfast cereal. You'd have thought my dad had come up with a noble prize winning idea they way he explained that one to me. "Milk goes off son, carnation doesn't" - *taps head*.

We only got a car when I was about 11.  Old man moved form being a shop steward at Copper Works to working for the union with a MKIV Cortina.  We'd occasionally decide on a winter Sunday to drive tot he coast for fish and chips.  Nothing was open, it was a bit shit and I guess petrol must have been cheap enough in those days to waste. 

Did anyone else have a Yorkshire Stone Fireplace?  Ours had a big flat area for a music system (flat one with record player, radio and tape deck), a cubby for Radio Times and two more flat bits for a chess board that collected dust (nobody played with it) and an old TV.

Reggie Perrin wrote:

Did anyone else have a Yorkshire Stone Fireplace?  Ours had a big flat area for a music system (flat one with record player, radio and tape deck), a cubby for Radio Times and two more flat bits for a chess board that collected dust (nobody played with it) and an old TV.

Yep. My dads mate built it. Massive, from one side of the room to the other. Stereo sat on one side and telly sat on the other. They were all the rage.

My Grandad knew everyone on Harehills Lane.  I still love walking up and down it.

I don't know if anyone was knocking about East End Park way in the 70s early 80s but he had the Pork Butchers tother side of the flyover from Torre Road.

fuzzy dunlop wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

Yep. My dads mate built it. Massive, from one side of the room to the other. Stereo sat on one side and telly sat on the other. They were all the rage.

Yeah, I guess they served a purpose, you never know they may come back.  Ha ha ha. 

I know I had to rip one out of our house when we moved in.  It was owned by Hunslet Baptist Church to let their Vicars live in in (Rothwell not Hunslet for some reason) decorated in 1972 but actually built in 1989.  Weird one that.

Speaker wire plastered into the wall  !!

Refused to have a microwave but relented when they made combi ones.

Sat on the loo having a shit, smoking Rothmans and reading the paper.

fuzzy dunlop wrote:
hendersonjones wrote:

so inorder to make myself and my sister some breakfast my dad ironed bread to make toast yikes

That's brilliant and exactly the kind of innovation my dad use to come up with when he split up with my mum and got a place of his own. He wouldn't use an iron to iron his clothes though, he'd do that by folding them neatly under his mattress then sleeping on them. Think I've mentioned on here before about the old washing your socks and undies by treading on them like grapes in the shower. He got that from his mate who was the first of the gang to get divorced and led the way in the field of domestic discovery.

Another one was not buying milk but having loads of tins of carnation in the cupboard for tea/coffee/breakfast cereal. You'd have thought my dad had come up with a noble prize winning idea they way he explained that one to me. "Milk goes off son, carnation doesn't" - *taps head*.

Just had the “what you lauging at” in the office conversation. big_smile piss gunny

fuzzy dunlop wrote:
Reggie Perrin wrote:

My uncle, Kenny Hodgson, built loads of those in the 70's. In fact the house we had in Leeds, before moving to the Lakes, had one. First thing he said, on visiting , was "That's one of mine". Old lad passed away this summer, aged 83. Top bloke

The insurgency began.................and you missed it.